Re: Shipping documentation untarred

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Shipping documentation untarred
Date: 2009-08-11 09:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 10 August 2009 21:53:57 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I understand that the placement of the generated docs in the sourcedir
> instead of the builddir is so that it is included in the tarball,
> correct? I admit I was surprised by that change.

I did point that out upthread, with you in particular in mind. ;-)

I've been thinking that we could actually get rid of that build-in-srcdir
behavior, which also occasionally puzzles vpath users with respect to gram.c
and so on. The new behavior would be to build targets in the local directory.
The only requirement would be that distribution tarballs be built in-tree, so
that the stuff that is distprep'ed actually ends up in the tarball, but I
think that should not be a problem.