Problem with psql backward compatibility

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Problem with psql backward compatibility
Date: 2009-07-19 19:18:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I thought we wanted psql to be able to connect to older databases and
report \d values properly. I see 8.4 psql \d is not working for
sequences in 8.3 databases:

$ psql regression
psql (8.4.0, server 8.3.7)
WARNING: psql version 8.4, server version 8.3.
Some psql features might not work.
Type "help" for help.

regression=> \d serialtest_f2_foo
ERROR: column "start_value" does not exist
LINE 2: start_value, increment_by,

The new 8.4 seqeuence "start_value" is the problem. Should I fix this
or does someone else want to tackle it?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com