Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > The beta preparation is dealing with all open issues, which is
> > different than the focus of the commit-fest.  Ideally we would be
> > addressing those open/bug issues during normal development, but for
> > the hard problems seem to linger and then we have to deal with them
> > during beta preparation, which can take 1-2 months.
>
> Is there any way to move some of that work up into the earlier commit
> fests?  (I'm afraid I still don't have my head around exactly what
> sorts of issues are addressed in this phase.)

Basically when someone reports a bug against CVS HEAD we try to fix it
but if the fix is complex, we usually just leave it for later, hence the
beta preparation time.  I think we assume some ideal fix will occur to
us but once we are near beta, we have no more time so we fix it as best
we can.

> By the way, I hope that nobody is taking any of my observations or
> questions as criticism or complaint.  It seems pretty obvious that the
> process currently involves a fair amount of frustration and pain for
> all involved, and I'm trying to brainstorm to help.  Don't think for a
> minute that I forget or fail to appreciate the tremendous work you do,
> along with that done by everyone else.

We understand your motivation.