Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>,David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier
Date: 2009-06-30 13:02:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> [090630 00:18]:

> Perhaps tieing it to the schema is wrong and we should actually
> require the user to specify the template they want explicitly which
> would be even better for that. So it would be something like "WITH
> GRANTS LIKE sensitive_table".

And, not having any experience with the current permissions code, or the
code required to do that (;-]), I would *love* something like that...

*especially* if those grants remain "by reference", i.e. If I change the
GRANTS/REVOKES on sensitive_table, those are automatically "apply" to all
tables created with the "WITH GRANTS LIKE sensitive_table"...

It would simplify all the work I have to do in:
	make_$PERMISSION_ROLE(table)
and make it much more "elegant", and save me having to re-run them all
if I want to change some permissions.

But I realize that since I'm as anal about my database schemas as I am
about my code, I'm probably not your typical "DB dev shop" people like
Josh are used to dealing with...

a.

aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca                                       command like a king,