Re: Need suggestions

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jack W <dbdevelop2000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Need suggestions
Date: 2009-06-25 19:10:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>wrote:

> > > I will create several databases on PostGreSQL. All the databases have the
> > > same structure: same number of table/index.
> > > I have two choices:
> > > 1. For each database, I create a new tablespace and create a new database
> > in
> > > the tablespace.
> > > 2. I only create one tablespace. Create all the databases on the same
> > > tablespace.
> > >
> > > What is the advantage and disadvantage of the two choices? For the first
> > > choice, different database locates in different physical directory on the
> > > hard drive. For the second choice, all the database locate in the same
> > > physical directory.
> > >
> > > Another possibility is to create a new "database cluster directory" for
> > each
> > > database. Then each database is managed by different database server
> > > instance using different connection.
> > >
> > > Which way is better? Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, which you don't state.
> >
> > The typical reason for tablespaces would be to store different parts of
> > your database cluster on different physical storage, thus a hard drive
> > being saturated with writes doesn't slow down other tables that are on
> > a completely different hard drive. I can't think of many other reasons
> > to use tablespaces.
> >
> > The typical reason for running multiple instances is that the global
> > settings must change, i.e. the listening port or listening address
> > must be different, or the roles and server-wide config settings must
> > be different.
> >
> > Without knowing what problem you're trying to solve, I can't recommend
> > one or the other, but hopefully the previous paragraphs will help.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

Keep the mailing list in your replies.

> The problem I want to solve is a typical web application. I want to use
> several databases on the server side to store information for different
> departments. For example, one database for sales department; one database
> for HR department. And all the databases have the same structure/schema.
>
> If considering performance, which way is better?

Multiple database instances will fragment memory and hurt both Postgres'
and the OS' ability to use memory efficiently. Do not use multiple
database instances if performance is a major goal.

> If I use one database server instance to manage all the databases, all the
> databases share the same transaction log. When doing backup/recovery, I need
> to back up or recover all the databases together, right?

False. pg_dump can back up individual databases. If you plan on doing
PITR, then you are correct. However, if you data is so important that
you can justify PITR, you'll want to have a separate server for restore
purposes, and once you've restored you can use other methods to transfer
the data to the live system, picking and choosing what you need.

> I can not shut down
> just one database because all the the databases will be shut down, right?

True, but why are you shutting databases down?

> If I use multiple database server instances, I can back up/recover/shut down
> each database separately.

If you expect to need to do that kind of tinkering often, then I would
recommend going one step further and getting each department it's own
physical (or virtual) server. If your environment is that unpredictable,
you're probably going to come across other issues, like department A runs
a data import that brings the server to its knees and all the other
departments complain. However, running multiple instances of Postgres
is one way of solving _some_ of those issues (as you describe). However,
if you need the granularity of PITR in an environment where things are
that unpredictable, you really need to establish multiple independent
environments.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com