Re: pg_migrator mention in documentation

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator mention in documentation
Date: 2009-06-18 21:56:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Saturday 06 June 2009 16:21:22 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Now that pg_migrator is in beta
> > > (http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000235), I was wondering if we want
> > > to mention pg_migrator anywhere in our docs or release notes? Josh
> > > Berkus is already mentioning it in the draft press release.
> >
> > Having gotten no replies I assume we don't want to mention pg_migrator
> > in the release notes or documentation, which is fine. It is mentioned
> > in the press release.
>
> Will you eventually want to ship pg_migrator in contrib? If so, then
> documentation will be added when that happens.

It is really up to the community, not me, what they want to do with the
code.

> If not, we should add a link somewhere where the upgrade process is described
> (installation instructions, I think).

I think the question is what do we want to do for 8.4, if anything, and
then we can figure out what to do for later releases.

> The makefile for pg_migrator currently assumes by default that it is located
> under contrib/. Which confuses me.

You can compile pg_migrator by copying it to /contrib, or using PGXS;
both work. Read the 15-step install instructions for details:

(7) Build pg_migrator

For pg_migrator source installs, keep in mind the compile must use the
_new_ PostgreSQL source directory and be installed in the new Postgres
install directory.

The simplest build option is to point to the top of the PostgreSQL
source tree by running something like:

gmake top_builddir=/usr/src/pgsql install

Replace '/usr/src/pgsql' with your source directory. pg_migrator also
understands the 'prefix=' specification if you installed Postgres in a
custom location. Another build option is to copy the pg_migrator
directory into contrib/pg_migrator in the new PostgreSQL source tree and
run a simple 'gmake install'. A third install method is to use PGXS
(assuming the new 'pg_config' is in your $PATH):

USE_PGXS=1 gmake prefix=/usr/local/pgsql.new install

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com