Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW List <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16
Date: 2009-06-18 20:54:16
Lists: pgsql-www
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> So the rest of us have to start filtering junk from our -www
> >> subscription? Please undo this.
>
> > Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
> > This was discussed last week,
>
> Discussed where?  Not here, that I saw.
>
> Personally, I'm perfectly capable of procmail'ing these things into
> oblivion, and I'm sure most of the other subscribers to -www are too.
> So in a week or so the only effect that these missives will have is
> to permanently clutter the list archives.

Agreed.  The core problem is that moderators have to dig through tons of
spam/duplicates/cross-posting to do anything meaningful, and they are
resigning under that load.  Address that core issue;  shaming is not
going to help anyone.

Case in point --- I resubscribed to the press(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing
list to help assist people, but there is so much spam that my
spamasassin baynes filter now considers all press@ email to be spam so I
don't see it anymore.  Hopefully if a legitimate press email arrives,
spamasassin will let it through, but I doubt it.  So I tried to help,
but will not actually help much.