Re: Dtrace probes documentation

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dtrace probes documentation
Date: 2009-05-28 23:20:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 06:28:14PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > The dtrace probes documentation [1] spells each probe name with dashes
> > ("transaction-start", "transaction-commit", etc.). Yet as far as I can see,
> > dtrace only works if you spell the probe names with double underscores
> > ("transaction__start", "transaction__commit", etc.). Why the discrepancy?
>
> Read 26.4.3 and .4. I don't know why they have this bizarre set of
> conventions, but the single-hyphen version is the spelling
> most visible to end users.

I thought it might be something like that. I've been playing with SystemTap,
and found that only the double-underscore version works for ... well, anything.
See http://blog.endpoint.com/2009/05/postgresql-with-systemtap.html for
details. Perhaps it's worth noting in the documentation that SystemTap users
will need to use the double-underscore version?

- Josh / eggyknap