Re: How to run PostgreSQL?

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Ries van Twisk <pg(at)rvt(dot)dds(dot)nl>, Jan Muhammad <janmuhd(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to run PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-05-08 14:19:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 09:58:04AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Because "users" shouldn't compile. The commands aren't relevant. If
> possible you should *always* run from your package manager.

don't you need root to do package management? Maybe that is just
Red Hat like. Hmm, not on OS X.

> * Why
> * Why should I have to configure a custom init.d script so my
> PostgreSQL will start?

to gain control over the system issue. From my perspective pg has always
been at the enterprise layer, so sysadmin/dba are on the hook. Those guys
don't like to hand over control to anyone, and therefore the commands
are relevant. Isn't that why they are in the manual.

I see where you are coming from, standardization in order to lower
maintenance costs. Maybe the install guide needs a branch per your
approach? The fact that this thread exists might be a testimony to
that.