log_rotation_age

From: "Jan-Peter Seifert" <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: log_rotation_age
Date: 2009-04-28 08:43:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

regarding the logging settings I've some questions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html

log_rotation_age

Are log files automatically rotated at midnight per default as it seems? Wouldn't truncate_on_rotation cause information loss otherwise? If the server starts at say 11:00 AM and the log file is rotated 24 hours later, wouldn't then all the entries before 11:00 AM on the next day be lost or is the starting point set according to the % escapes in log_filename? What am I missing?

Is there a mechanism to automatically clean up additional log files created because the original log file became bigger than log_rotation_size?

Thank you very much,

Peter
--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dslspecial.gmx.de/freedsl-surfflat/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a