Re: performance for high-volume log insertion

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: david(at)lang(dot)hm
Cc: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Date: 2009-04-21 19:17:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
* david(at)lang(dot)hm (david(at)lang(dot)hm) wrote:
> by the way, now that I understand how you were viewing this, I see why
> you were saying that there would need to be a SQL parser. I was missing
> that headache, by going the direction of having the user specify the
> individual components (which has it's own headache)

Right, but really, you're already parsing the SQL to the extent that you
need to, and whatever limitations and headaches that causes you've
already had to deal with through proper escaping and whatnot of your
variables..  So I'm not sure that it'll be all that bad in the end.

If you add this as a new feature that users essentially have to opt-in
to, then I think you can offload alot of the work on to the users for
doing things like fixing quoting (so the $NUM vars aren't quoted).

	Thanks,

		Stephen