Re: Archives policy

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Archives policy
Date: 2009-04-16 16:58:00
Lists: pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Yeah, thanks for raising that! If we catch inappropriate messages
>> almost immediately, it should just be a case of stopping mhonarc from
>> running and deleting the messages from the mbox file. If they've been
>> there are while (and renumbering messages will be a problem)
>
> Isn't that why Alvaro(?) went through all that work getting it so that we
> could reference messages by MessageID?  To remove the worry concerning
> renumbering?

Well, there's still a lot of people using the number scheme, so I don't
think we can just ignore the renumbering issue.  However, I think it's
reasonable to say that we can just ignore it for very recent messages
(and I don't think we're going to attempt to delete pornographic
messages posted months ago -- if anything of the sort happens, action is
going to be taken pretty hastily).