Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt
Date: 2009-04-13 01:40:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > One random idea is to fold both of these settings into sslmode, with
> > the
> > following progression:
> >
> > disable, allow, prefer, require, require-cert, require-cn
> >
> > And then set the default to "disable", because as you say "prefer"
> > is pretty
> > silly. And then users can explictly choose which level of SSL-ness
> > they want.
>
> This is a different way to do bruces suggestion of a different
> default. That's possibly even clearer. So I can definitely go with
> this, but I think two different parameters makes it more clear and is
> better.
>
> And +1 for changing the default sslmode regardless of how we configure
> ssl verification.

I like Peter's idea too. Having _three_ SSL settings is overkill, and I
like the idea of doing it with one parameter. As already pointed out,
it makes no sense to do server certificate verification unless the
sslmode is 'require', and having require-cert and require-cn are very
clear.

I disagree with Magnus that having two parameters is better --- I think
there is just too much risk of misconfiguration with two parameters.

I would actually call the two parameters 'verify-cert' and 'verify-cn',
and document that they also have "require" behavior. Obviously you
can't verify certificates unless you require SSL.

I am fine with changing the default sslmode.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com