Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt

From: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt
Date: 2009-04-10 05:39:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane [2009-04-10 1:15 -0400]:
> Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org> writesyuqhom#3:
> > The test suite detected one regression in libpq, though: Setting
> > $PGHOST now complains about a missing root.crt, although this is only
> > relevant on the server side (or did I misunderstood this?)
>
> No, that's a progression: the client wants to validate the server's
> cert, too.

Indeed it is nice to see this feature (great to prevent spoofing), but
if I don't have a ~/.postgresql/root.crt at all, it shouldn't
certainly break completely? (which it does now).

libpq did not bump the SONAME, thus this breaks backwards
compatibility with previous PostgreSQL versions which also used
libpq.so.5, i. e. from 8.2 on.

(Oh, and just for the record: I'm not advocating at all to bump the
soname; with thousands of packages linking against it, those are
always painful library transitions).

Thanks,

Martin

--