Re: log_min_duration_statement units

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_min_duration_statement units
Date: 2009-04-07 23:43:23
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >
> > > Right, the problem particularly is with the -1/special values that don't
> > > have a real unit.
> >
> > I don't object to what you did to postgresql.conf.sample, but I think
> > you should revert the changes to the descriptions in guc.c.
>
> Agreed;  attached patch applied.

However, keep in mind that units are _not_ displayed for zero values:

	test=> show statement_timeout;
	 statement_timeout
	-------------------
	 0
	(1 row)

	test=> set statement_timeout = 100;
	SET
	test=> show statement_timeout;
	 statement_timeout
	 100ms
	(1 row)

because of this test in guc.c:

                    else if (use_units && result > 0 &&
                             (record->flags & GUC_UNIT_TIME))

pg_settings does show the units.  Changing this to display the units
might be odd since many zero values mean 'disabled'.