Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release
Date: 2009-03-31 17:11:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/30/09 11:49 PM, Rob Napier wrote:
> > Josh
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to help?
> >
> > If you give me the raw details, I'd be happy to write it for you.
>
> See the wiki page.
>
> But the first thing to do is start with a theme. Suggestions?
>
> We used "rapid development" last year, so we can't use it this year.
> But this release doesn't have any central "theme" in terms of what's
> been added; it's just a whole buncha features.
>
> The one thing I thought of which is somewhat new is that we added
> several features or partial features designed to pave the way for larger
> features later.

I used this text for the top of the 8.4 release note; it highlights
targeted development and recently-adopted SQL-standard features.

After many years of development, <productname>PostgreSQL</> has
become feature-complete in many areas. This release shows a
targeted approach to adding features (e.g. authentication,
monitoring, space reuse), and adds capabilities defined in the
later SQL standards; the major areas of enhancement are:

You will notice from the release notes that the feature additions are
more focused in specific areas than in previous releases, and we have
added some cool SQL-standards stuff (windowing, recusive queries).

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com