Re: psql \d* and system objects

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \d* and system objects
Date: 2009-03-30 14:13:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Maybe the best we are going to do is to have any pattern supplied to \d*
assume 'S' (include system objects). I actually have a patch that does
that, attached. (It is from January so might need adjustment.)

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Now I *have* a user function named sin(), it's not getting called
> > (which might surprise me if I didn't know there was a conflicting
> > system function) and \df doesn't show me either one.
> >
> > I actually was expecting the above example to show me the user function,
> > which I was then going to rant about being a lie. ?But the actual
> > behavior is even worse than that.
>
> Well, that is clearly a bug.
>
> > There is not anything that is not broken about HEAD's behavior,
> > and the sooner we admit that the sooner we can get to a fix.
> > Slicing the categorization more finely or in different ways is
> > not going to improve matters: the concept that there is a categorization
> > that will make it hide requested objects is wrong to begin with.
>
> Well, by that argument, 8.3 is broken, too, because it hides
> pg_catalog tables, views, sequences, and indices. It's fair to say
> that the system shouldn't hide "requested" objects, but sometimes
> people want request only the objects that they created, and not the
> ones that are part of the system. In 8.3, if you want to list all of
> the functions you've defined (as opposed to the ones that came with
> the system), you have a couple of not-so-fun options:
>
> 1. pg_dump -s | grep 'CREATE.*FUNCTION'
> 2. looking up the **40-line** query that \df issues, modifying it to
> exclude system functions, and running it by hand
>
> This has been a huge irritation to me for many years, and (whatever
> else you can say about the patch that started all this) it makes this
> particular thing a whole lot easier. I'd like to find a way to still
> have that be easy while fixing some of the other issues.
>
> Even in 8.3, we have this oddness:
>
> \dt pg_index
> No matching relations found.
> select sum(1) from pg_index;
> sum
> -----
> 332
> (1 row)
>
> One idea I had is to issue some kind of a warning if a \d command
> matches system objects that are excluded from the output, like this:
>
> note: %d system objects also found, use %s to display
>
> ...Robert

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/pgpatches/psql-arg text/x-diff 10.2 KB