Re: typedefs for indent

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: typedefs for indent
Date: 2009-03-27 02:48:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> Andrew, this is disappointing news. When you talked about generating an
> >> typedef list from the buildfarm, you were saying how great it would be
> >> --- now a year later you post:
> >>
> >> It'd be nice to get that dealt with before we run pg_indent, but it's
> >> not like we'd be any worse off than before if we don't. In any case it's
> >> surely no blocker for 8.4beta.
> >>

> > My apologies; the above are Tom's words, not Andrews.
> >

> Apology accepted.
>
> What I promised was a list that was more comprehensive than what we were
> using. I think I've already delivered on that, but I would like to do
> better by including some other Operating Systems: particularly some BSD
> flavors. Buildfarm owners with non-Linux non-Windows members please
> take note. Email me if you need help with this.
>
> Unless we come up with some tolerably correct and maintainable code
> analysis tool for identifying typedefs, using the current heuristic
> methods is apparently the best we can do. Nobody has suggested even an
> outline for such a tool. I don't think using the buildfarm for this
> heuristic method is great, and never suggested it would be. I do think
> it's an improvement, which is what I promised. I'm sorry if you find the
> result disappointing.

Well, as you, I was hoping for a clear solution, and it seems we don't
have one. I think the false-positives problem is real and might make
the greater code coverage of the buildfarm worse than what we did for
8.3.

I think our only fallback is to find places that our BSD items miss,
perhaps Win32 cases, see what is different with those lists, and just
hard-code them in, because then we aren't importing a huge number of
additional typedefs that have uncertain consequences.

Frankly, I don't remember anyone complaining we didn't find any typedefs
in pgindent, though I think there might have been a few EXEC_BACKEND
cases, and maybe we can just hardcode those.

Frankly, pgindent has larger problems than an imcomplete typedef list. :-(

When I am ready to run pgindent I will ask for your typedef list and see
what the diff shows when I use your list and we can figure something out
then.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com