Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-03-27 02:11:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> I'm sure they will. ?But the current problem is getting beta released
> >> in the first place, and AFAICS we're all waiting for you.
> >
> > As Tom said, it is more the open items that we are waiting on, not the
> > release notes, but if if you are waiting for me to generate a list of
> > open items, I already published in inaccurate list that at least
> > _includes_ all the open items, plus lots of stuff that isn't open.
>
> Hmm, well, Tom dropped a filtered version of your list into the open
> items wiki page.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items
>
> That includes a whole slough of patches that weren't submitted until
> after November 1st and which I think should probably be bumped en
> masse to 8.5:
>
> Change behavior of statement-level triggers for inheritance cases?
> GetCurrentVirtualXIDs() (is this patch safe?)
> PQinitSSL broken in some use cases
> postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing
> errors, then bail
> small but useful patches for text search
> Additional DTrace Probes
> pg_standby trigger behavior is dangerous
> psql \d commands and information_schema (already in CommitFest 2009-First)
> Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent
> (already in CommitFest 2009-First)

Wow, that is a large list. Getting this all on a wiki is really what
needed to happen. I can't keep an open list current enough to be
useful.

> I think we should also boot everything in the "pre-existing bugs"
> category, and the first two items from the "questions" category, which
> don't seem important enough to worry about at this stage of the game.
> That would leave us with 14 items, all of which look reasonably
> relevant and 8.4-related.

I think pushing "pre-existing bugs" to 8.5 is a mistake, first from a
software quality standpoint, and second because we are going to have a
lots of downtime during beta while we wait for feedback, so we can work
on some of these issues then. These things are not going to be any
easier to fix during 8.5 than now so let's make 8.4 as good as we can
without overly-delaying it.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com