Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues
Date: 2009-03-21 13:22:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 01:05:35PM +0000, Andrew Gierth wrote:
> (Perhaps we should be linking contrib and pgxs modules with -Bsymbolic
> on those platforms where it matters?)

Another possibility is to use the visibility attributes such as those
provided in GCC. Maybe the version1 declarion of a function could add
the appropriate magic to set the visiblity to public and alter PGXS to
set the default visibility to hidden. Voila, modules whose only
exported symbols are those declared with a version-1 declaration.

Perhaps a little too much magic :)

Have a nice day,