Re: BUG #4714: Unicode Big5 Conversion

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Cc: rchang111(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4714: Unicode Big5 Conversion
Date: 2009-03-18 15:49:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> > There is authoritative source for the Big5 encoding, but don't believe
> > that do help
> >
> > http://www.cns11643.gov.tw/AIDB/encodings_en.do
> >
> > Skip the historical mess already done. we should focus on reality?
> >
> > brief events according time-line,
> >
> > * BIG5 created, mostly by ETEN company, some others but not important now.
> > * CNS Standard like 11643, Taiwan Government authority building in
> > mean time ...
> > * Windows 3 showup, need Chinese ... pick not CNS but BIG5 ???
> > Code Page 950 born.
> > * ETEN company add "ETen-extension 0xF9D6-0xF9FE" to work with IBM5550
> > * Since Windows ME, CP950 add above mentioned 7 char. 0xF9D6-0xF9FE ONLY ???
> > * Later Hong Kong add above 7 Char. plus some more symbol in
> > HKSCS-2004, and what you found is right.
> > * WHAT A MESS !
> >
> > Focus on reality,
> > only mentioned 7 Char. I need to build into pgsql sources to compliant
> > with CP950, since few years ago.
>
> Ok, so Windows codepage 950 has those 7 characters, but not the other
> ETEN extended chars. I think that's a good enough reason to add those 7
> chars; we have 'win950' as an alias for big5 anyway.
>
> I'll go add those characters.

Be very careful not to break the standard defined by Unicode.
For example the glyph for 0xe7a281 == U+7881 is defined in page 43 of
http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U4E00.pdf. So we need to make sure that the
particular kanji character defined in Big5 0xf9d6 has the same glyph
as the one defined in Unicode(U+7881). Same thing can be said to rest
of the proposed mapping.

--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan