Re: better handling of alternate languages in wiki

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: better handling of alternate languages in wiki
Date: 2009-03-16 14:20:28
Lists: pgsql-www
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> > So, for a start this means that the main page needs to have a
> > {{Languages}} inserted at the top;
>
> I would prefer to see a box on the left, as wikipedia does.

Well, Wikipedia has separate sites for each language (though they use
"interwiki links" for the boxes on the left).  If you see a way to make
that work, feel free to point it out.

> > and the "Alternate Languages"
> > subsection should probably be removed.
>
> No. For example, in the french section, there are articles available
> only in French. I don't want to lose them. Where will I put them if the
> "alternate languages" subsection disappears?

I don't mean to remove the actual pages, only the subsection in the main
page that points to them; we would still have the language-specific
content in the language-specific pages.  I'm not suggesting any content
change (and certainly I'm not suggesting to dike it out to a
postgresqlfr.org page), only a presentation change.