Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,rhubbell <Rhubbell(at)iHubbell(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-01-31 14:28:31
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 02:43:13PM -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:
> I guess I'd still like some more convenient tuning of autovacuum (perhaps
> specifying X mbps disk I/O); but I'd say vacuum fell off my pet-peeve list
> around the 8.1 timeframe.

ah yes, that reminds me. If I know what my disk subsystem is capable of
I'd like to be able to say: VACUUM, please don't use more than 10MB/s.
You can do it now with a calculator and a lot of reading the docs but
surely Pg can work this out for itself.

Nicest would be ofcourse a niceness level, so that VACUUM slows itself
down according to the amount of queries going on (to a minimum
ofcourse).

Have a nice day,