Re: How to get SE-PostgreSQL acceptable

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to get SE-PostgreSQL acceptable
Date: 2009-01-30 23:13:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net) wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> So, for 8.4: *if* we included in 8.4 a version of SEPostgres with all
>> features *except* row-level security, would it still be useful to the
>> SELinux community?
>>
>> I think we're just not going to work out the headache-inducing issues
>> around row-level security in time for 8.4, and it seems to me that
>> integrated system-level security labels at the table-and-column level
>> are still very useful, even without row-level security.

I tend to agree that they will be very useful. I'm not sure there will
be much adoption without row-level in the security community though, to
be honest. I'd like to see it as part of an overall plan to eventually
do row-level support. Given the size of this overall work and feature
set, I think it's appropriate to do it in a staged manner regardless.

> Hasn't a plan for this already been posted? See
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg02407.php

Sure, that's a plan, but Josh's question is certainly appropriate.

Thanks,

Stephen