PostgreSQL / SSIS DBA Wanted, Chicago area

From: Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)leapfrogonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL / SSIS DBA Wanted, Chicago area
Date: 2009-01-30 19:47:22
Lists: pgsql-jobs

This is revised, as we switched from wanting possible Oracle knowledge
to SQL Server (please note, I'm not the HR Dept. here, just the DBA.
The submission email address is at the end.):

--------------

Database Administrators to arms! Leapfrog Online is seeking an
experienced and highly agile fledgling or master DBA to soothe and
pamper several bulky PostgreSQL databases in the Chicago area.

Wait... What?!

On paper, we're a customer-acquisition firm, but the important part for
a DBA: lots and lots of data. We have billing data, session data,
transactional data, provisioning data, decisioning data, REST data,
reporting data in star schemas and staging tables galore; data, data,
data. Why? To prove to our clients their new customers were supplied by
us, and to improve the process. Really, we need some help here, and
that's where you come in.

Of course there's the usual duties: query and table optimization, schema
design and modeling; system monitoring, backups, maintenance, and
replication; occasional database-related system administration and
software upgrades; etc. You spent years obtaining esoteric incantations
to subdue a misbehaving query intent on performing parallel
sequence-scans on four of your largest tables, you've shrugged at
single tables that exceed one hundred gigabytes, you know why a
nested-loop sub-tree on an optimistic index probability caused by
shallow statistics is a bad thing. If you even understood that last
sentence, we want your resume yesterday!

We hope you're well acquainted with PostgreSQL, know some MySQL, and
don't blanch upon confronting the Microsoft SSIS stack. If you've ever
coded stored procedures in a PL/SQL variant, there's plenty to peruse
here. We also have copious amounts of fact tables based on the standard
star-schema model, and heterogeneous data to fill them, with more
looming on the horizon. Know Linux or any major Unix? Shell script in
your sleep? Think in third normal form? Good, because we do a little
bit of everything here.

And hey, even if you can't do everything we've mentioned here, a few
will do just fine as long as you're competent, willing to learn, and
really want to delve into the nitty-gritty substrate and become a
better DBA.

What the Heck is a Leapfrog? Why is it Online?

We're not a soulless marketing firm! Our tech department, and by
extension the data team, firmly believes in Open Source methodology.
Our primary database is PostgreSQL, with read-only mirrors handled via
Slony, with UnixODBC when accessing commercial databases. Our
version-tracking is Subversion, and we employ the main developers of
nose and fixture, among other notable members of the FOSS community. We
even presented at the last PyCon! We keep a running list of FOSS in use
here, and it's currently over 100-items long.

The entire company is also a firm believer in Agile's values, with Scrum
as our preferred implementation. We'll gladly take planned iterative
development over emergency driven development any day!

As an employee, you can look forward to our aggressive disdain for long
hours, almost shamelessly casual atmosphere, and for the hungry among
you, bagels on Friday. What's not to love?

So if you want to apply, send an email to
techposition(at)leapfrogonline(dot)com with a copy of your resume and salary
history, and we'll give you a call.

--------------

--
Shaun Thomas
Database Administrator

Leapfrog Online
807 Greenwood Street
Evanston, IL 60201
Tel. 847-440-8253
Fax. 847-570-5750
www.leapfrogonline.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
The document(s) accompanying this e-mail transmission, if any, and the e-mail transmittal message containing information from Leapfrog Online Customer Acquisition, LLC is confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named on this e-mail transmission message. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately delete this e-mail and notify us by telephone of the error.