Re: Column-Level Privileges

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column-Level Privileges
Date: 2009-01-29 04:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom, et al,

> There are still some significant loose ends though:

Apologies for not having this finished already, been kind of caught up
in some discussions. :)

> * Some of the information_schema views are specified to respond to
> per-column privileges; the column_privileges and columns views
> certainly need work now to meet spec, and there might be others.

Done.

> * It might be appropriate to let the pg_stats view expose stats for
> columns you have select privilege for, even if you haven't got it
> across the whole table.

Done.

> * We probably ought to invent has_column_privilege SQL functions
> analogous to has_table_privilege; this is not just for completeness,
> but is probably necessary to finish the above items.

Done.

> * ISTM that COPY with a column list should succeed if you have
> SELECT or INSERT privilege on just the mentioned columns.

Currently working on this one, doesn't look too bad, but I'm not going
to get it finished tonight. Once I've got this done, hopefully
tomorrow, I'll send in a patch against HEAD for all of the above.

Thanks,

Stephen