Re: How to get SE-PostgreSQL acceptable

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>,KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>,Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>,PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to get SE-PostgreSQL acceptable
Date: 2009-01-28 22:18:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> For me, the row-level access controls are really the sticking point.
> There is absolutely nothing you can say that will convince me that they
> don't break SQL in fundamental ways, and I also don't believe that it's
> going to be possible to implement them without a constant stream of bugs
> of omission and commission.  (Those two points are not unrelated.)

And, just to go full circle, row-level access controls are exactly what
the other enterprise RDBMSs have and is what is used in these security
circles today.  One of the major issues, as I understand it, is to be
able to use stock applications with multiple security levels where the
application doesn't know (or care about) the security level.  Doing that
through views and partitions and triggers and whatnot for each and every
application that is run on these systems will be a big hurdle to those
users, if it ends up being workable at all.

	Thanks,

		Stephen