Re: QuickLZ compression algorithm (Re: Inclusion in the PostgreSQL backend for toasting rows)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: lar(at)quicklz(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: QuickLZ compression algorithm (Re: Inclusion in the PostgreSQL backend for toasting rows)
Date: 2009-01-05 01:51:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 17:56, Lasse Reinhold <lar(at)quicklz(dot)com> wrote:

> > That sounds really exciting, I'd love to see QuickLZ included into
> > PostgreSQL. I'd be glad to offer support and add custom optimizations,
> > features or hacks or whatever should turn up.
> >
> > My only concern is to avoid undermining the commercial license, but this
> > can, as you suggest, be solved by exceptionally allowing QuickLZ to be
> > linked with PostgreSQL. Since I have exclusive copyright of QuickLZ any
> > construction is possible.

Hmm ... keep in mind that PostgreSQL is used as a base for a certain
number of commercial, non-BSD products (Greenplum, Netezza,
EnterpriseDB, Truviso, are the ones that come to mind). Would this
exception allow for linking QuickLZ with them too? It doesn't sound to
me like you're open to relicensing it under BSD, which puts us in an
uncomfortable position.