Re: generic reloptions improvement

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: generic reloptions improvement
Date: 2009-01-03 16:32:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

> If you really can't see a use for this, OK, then: Please can you put in
> a plugin API for user defined reloptions as well as what you are
> proposing. We discussed this before in late July/early Aug on thread
> "Uncopied parameters..."

Hmm, I was just looking at the CREATE TABLE LIKE code yesterday; I
didn't remember that discussion.  I'll have a more detailed look.

> > I'm now playing with adding "namespaces" to the options, but that's for
> > handling options for toast tables.  I'm not really sure how would it
> > work for regular options.
> toast.option_x
> btree.option_y
> autovacuum.option_z

autovacuum as a namespace doesn't work, because we need to have
autovacuum options for toast too.  If we went down this route we would
need to have two name levels.

Alvaro Herrera