Re: Auto-updated fields

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>,David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-updated fields
Date: 2009-01-03 00:14:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ref: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-05/msg00198.php

> > > 1.  Create a generic (possibly overloaded) trigger function, bundled
> > > with PostgreSQL, which sets a field to some value.  For example, a
> > > timestamptz version might set the field to now().

> > Having the pre defined triggers at hand could be useful, especially
> > for people not writing triggers so often to get used to it but I'm
> > really not happy with the idea of magic preprocessing.

> I have a generic version of this in pagila.

Now that we have a specific file in core for generic triggers (right now with a
single one), how about adding this one to it?

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"Cuando mañana llegue pelearemos segun lo que mañana exija" (Mowgli)