Re: Link to bug webpage

From: "Reinoud van Leeuwen" <reinoud(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to bug webpage
Date: 2001-08-21 17:14:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:
[...]
> What who thinks of what has actually become irrelevant. The following
> is clear:
>
> o No tool will replace the mailing lists
> o The mailing lists are where discussion will be held
> o Many/most maintainers have no desire to update bug reports
disadvantages of a mailinglist:
- easy problems are solved by 10 people in 5 minutes, hard ones often by
none
- not clear who is the "owner" of a problem

OK so what we need is an enhaced mailinglist with a web interface. I've
used wreq (http://www.math.duke.edu/~yu/wreq/) in the past for something
similar. Features:
- web and mail interface
- each problem gets an assigned owner
- status of entered items is clear
- not much extra work in comparison to a mailinglist.
- outstanding bugs stay visible until closed (instead of forgotten)

It may not be ideal for this kind of thing, but it is a start. Has anyone
suggestions for a better tool?

Reinoud