Re: version() output vs. 32/64 bits

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: version() output vs. 32/64 bits
Date: 2008-12-31 02:45:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > ...  Moreover, there does not actually seem to be a
> > way to find out whether you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit build (except by
> > using OS tools).
>
> I think the basic definition of "32 bit" or "64 bit", certainly for
> our purposes, is sizeof(void *).  That is something that configure
> could easily find out.  Or you could look at sizeof(size_t) which
> it already does find out.
>
> I have no immediate proposal on how to factor that into the version
> string.

I think the pointer size is part of the compiler, rather than the
platform, so it should go after the compiler mention, e.g.:

  test=> select version();
                                    version

   PostgreSQL 8.4devel on i386-pc-bsdi4.3.1, compiled by GCC 2.95.3, 32-bit
  (1 row)

The attached patch modifies configure.in and updates a documentation mention.