vacuum monitoring question

From: Kevin Kempter <kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: vacuum monitoring question
Date: 2008-12-24 16:31:53
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi All;
I'm working on a vacuum monitor script to alert us when tables start to grow
out of control per dead space.  Initially I excluded the system catalog
schemas (pg_catalog, pg_toast, etc) however I wonder if maybe I should monitor
these as well. PLus I'm looking for any input as to specifically what to look
for - I've calculated a 'fill factor' which shows the average page fill as a
percentage but I wonder what other metrics may help monitor possible problem
tables effeciently..

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

pgsql-admin by date