Re: encoding cleanups in cvs repo

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: encoding cleanups in cvs repo
Date: 2008-12-23 15:27:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Out of curiosity ... what problems exactly? I just looked through my
> >> last complete dump of CVS log history and didn't see anything funny
> >> in the messages for exc.c ...
>
> > It's rev 1.7 of that file -- it had a ^E and a ^L.
>
> Ah, I was looking for high-bit-set characters.

Right, we have our share of those too, but Magnus is filtering them with
iconv or Python internal recoding routines, and they don't cause
problems. However those routines were not touching those control chars,
and later steps of the process were choking on them.

> Yeah, I see those. The backtick is clearly the right thing if you
> compare to the adjacent commit message for another branch.

Right, and it's the usual quoting rule used by FSF stuff (and others I
assume).