Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Brian Hurt" <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
Date: 2008-12-14 18:06:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Saturday 13 December 2008 23:34:33 Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Again, I do not want this thread to be an argument of Oracle vs.
> Postgres. I just wanted to say that we should look at benchmarks
> which have some resemblance of scientific validity before simply
> passing them out or believing in them ourselves. This is open source
> and believing in our own benchmarketing is just going to hurt us
> long-term.

Fair points, but one also needs to consider the audience of this list. The
information wasn't posted on -performance or -hackers as some scientific
validation, it was posted on -advocacy, where even a bad benchmark carries
wieght because it is interesting for those of use who do advocacy related
work to know what is being discussed even if the exact discussion is not
exactly accurate. That said, it is very good that we have people willing to
point out those inaccuracies; hopefully that keeps everyone on thier toes
when talking with others.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net