Re: When to hold Pg East

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: When to hold Pg East
Date: 2008-12-11 01:23:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 20:02:16 Josh Berkus wrote:
> > You also might want to throw a disclaimer into the date area that voting
> > for "Late May" would still respect the PGCon schedule. As the second
> > mover here, I think your only viable options here are snuggling up next
> > to it (East on May {15/}16/17 would open an interesting combo trip
> > possibility for long distance travellers, PHL->YYZ is a quick flight),
> > or staying clear of that period altogether.

PHL->YYZ might be a quick flight, but pgcon is in ottowa (aka yow), not
toronto. (In fairness I think PHL->YOW isnt too bad, though it will make it
harder to get a direct flight)

> Making it back-to-back with pgCon would make things easier on speakers.

really? for most people, first you have to work out how to get to Philly, and
then work out how to get from there to Ottowa, and then get back to some
place other than Philly, which makes getting arragements that much more
difficult. Unless east was actually in Ottowa, I think this makes things
harder.

Also, lets not forget that BSDCan and php|tek run right around that time as
well, so we're also probably writing off those communities as potential east
attendees if we do it at that time.

> However, it would likely decrease both attendence and sponsorships for
> each conference.

Amazing how that problem keeps coming up... I can't wait till jdcon gives up
its stubborness and moves itself to the other side of the calendar...

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net