Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1202

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1202
Date: 2008-12-09 06:28:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I was assigned to review this.

Thanks for your reviewing.
I assume that the basic concepts are ok and focus of discussion is in:
- New counters in struct Instrumentation.
(buffer usage and CPU usage)
- Should EXPLAIN ANALYZE show those counters.

> Performance review
> HEAD: tps = 9.674423
> PATCH: tps = 9.695784
>
> If it claims to improve performance, does it?
> Does it slow down other things?

The patch should not slow down normal use if you don't use
pg_stat_statements module, but it might slow down EXPLAIN ANALYZE
because some fields are added in struct Instrumentation and
they are counted up per tuple in EXPLAIN ANALYZE.

> Also find attached some very minor verbiage changes.

Thanks. I'll apply your fixes.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro