Re: Fall back to alternative tsearch dictionary directory

From: Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fall back to alternative tsearch dictionary directory
Date: 2008-12-02 01:16:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

Tom Lane [2008-12-01 19:51 -0500]:
> I can't see any reason whatever to not put them into
> ${sharepath}/tsearch_data/. It's not like you're expecting to be
> able to share them with other applications.

No, not for sharing. I just don't like them to be in /usr, but that's
by and large a stylistic preference, and I won't dwell on it.

> Seems like it'd be quite sufficient to choose a specialized naming
> policy within tsearch_data, say es_ES.aff -> system_es_es.aff.

Works for me, too.

> I don't think moving stuff into a different subdirectory makes
> conflicts a non-problem; it just means that half the world will be
> unhappy with the search order you chose.

IMHO there is really just one sensible ordering here. Always prefer
the ones installed by hand, and only if they are not present, fall
back to the system defaults. The other way around would mean that the
admin couldn't do local overriding any more.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de