Re: JOIN results of refcursor functions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Milan Oparnica <milan(dot)opa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JOIN results of refcursor functions
Date: 2008-12-01 02:08:46
Lists: pgsql-sql
Milan Oparnica escribió:

> I've searched documentation (8.3) and didn't find a way to use OUT
> variables in same manner as SETOF (RETURN NEXT doesn't create a record
> type result).
> Can you please give an example of how to return select fld1, fld2 from
> table through OUT variables so the caller gets records ?

create function foo (a int, out b int, out c text) returns setof record language plpgsql as $$
b = 2 * a;
c = 'dos por a';
return next;
b = 3 * a;
c = 'tres por a';
return next;
end; $$ ;
alvherre=# select * from foo(4);
 b  |     c
  8 | dos por a
 12 | tres por a
(2 filas)

I guess you should be able to do the same with cursor operations.  I
haven't seen how you use refcursor in a plpgsql function.

Alvaro Herrera