Re: Statement-level triggers and inheritance

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Statement-level triggers and inheritance
Date: 2008-11-29 17:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 28 November 2008 16:59:19 Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> > Looks like inheritance causes a statement-level trigger to fire on
> > the last evaluated table in the inheritance chain. Is this the
> > desired behavior?
>
> Hm, I think whoever wrote the statement-level trigger code completely
> forgot to consider the possibility of multiple target relations. It's
> not even consistent between BEFORE and AFTER triggers for this case.
>
> My feeling is that it ought to fire such triggers on *each* target.

This would amount to statement level triggers firing multiple times per
statement wouldn't it? That behavior might be rather surprising for folks. I
guess the alternative is to have it fire only on the parent in an inheritance
stack. I'm not sure that's much more defensible, but maybe it's more
practical?

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net