Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for matching wildcard server certificates to the new

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for matching wildcard server certificates to the new
Date: 2008-11-28 22:08:42
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Friday 28 November 2008 17:13:54 Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Matching *only* as the first character will make it impossible to make
> certificates for "www*.domain.com", which is AFAIK fairly popular - and
> one of the examples you'll find on CA sites. But it would be fairly easy
> to add this restriction if people feel that's a better way.

Are there actual technical or administrative or security arguments for or
against this? For example, what are the criteria one has to fulfill in order
to get such a certificate? Or is there a "defensive certification" security
line of reasoning?

Now certificate issuing is a real business, so we need to play in that context
as well, but I would like to dig a little deeper why things should be done in
a certain way.

I am quite confortable, for example, with * matching subdomains, because if I
own example.com, then I can create any level of subdomain I want, without
making a real difference to user/client program. But then I don't really get
the point of having * inside of words -- would "www*.domain.com" also match
dots then?