Re: CSV import / export

From: Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CSV import / export
Date: 2008-11-27 05:24:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Hi, Tharakan

This item is already in my plan.
I am thinking what function should be supported and got some idea.

There are some commercial pruduct that coded in Java.
Through the JDBC technology, they can support almost all database.
We can reference their function to design our component.

Import/Export should has themselves dialog. In future, they can be
grouped into a sub-menu with Backup/Restore.

The CSV(Comma-Separated Values) has itself standard "RFC 4180".
Website: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4180.txt

I plan to support it and some expansion.
  --column delimiter can be comma(std), colon, semicolon or TAB;
    (Text parser should accept any char or string to be delimiter, ideally.
However, this will make the function too complicated. Juest be an idea
now.)
  --text can be quoted in single or double(std) quotation;
  --multi-format date, time, numberic
  --user can adjust column order to correspond with CSV item.
  --and so on

wxWidgets has some class that support charset convertion.

Quan Zongliang
quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com
CIT Japan:  http://www.cit.co.jp
CIT China:  http://www.citbj.com.cn