Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-11-27 09:20:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 06:13:41PM -0700, Fabricio wrote:

> I have an IBM server with NUMA architecture, two nodes with 4 CPU quad
> core and 64 GB of RAM each, and PostgrSQL 8.3.5. Is there any way to
> avoid the performance degradation when the load goes up and used the
> two nodes? I understand this performance degradation is due to the
> higher latency than a cpu access a remote memory that the  local
> memory. But there are ways to improve this?
> Any suggestions?     Greetings...             Thanks...

I suppose this has nothing to do with PostgreSQL but needs some
operating system level tuning. Maybe there is a way to bind the postgres
processes to one node's CPUs... What operating system are you using?
I know that there are ways to bind processes to a CPU on Linux, I'm not
sure how to assign multiple processes to multiple CPUs. The Linux
scheduler should know about NUMA architectures though, there not that
new any more.