Re: Exporting PGINTERVALSTYLE prevents access to older server versions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Exporting PGINTERVALSTYLE prevents access to older server versions
Date: 2008-11-25 19:27:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 16:42:57 Tom Lane wrote:
> --- 716,722 ----
> */
> putenv("PGTZ=PST8PDT");
> putenv("PGDATESTYLE=Postgres, MDY");
> ! putenv("PGOPTIONS=--intervalstyle=postgres_verbose");
>
> if (temp_install)
> {
>
> when it struck me that that's going to still cause pg_regress to fail to
> connect to older servers, which I suppose is the case that prompted you
> to complain originally.

Yeah, I was trying to reproduce the misbehavior I experienced the other day.
In fact now pg_regress just hung somehow, and I found these errors about
intervalstyle in the server log. This is probably the psql try-to-connect
loop in pg_regress.

> So I guess the real question is what is the
> use case for having pg_regress talk to older servers?

There is no use. I was just thinking, why create a new environment variable
when actually setting that variable would create all kinds of havoc for
users.

The change above looks appropriate to me.

(Better yet IMO would be to put SET statements into the SQL files where
necessary. But that is different matter.)