Re: EXECUTE query INTO problem

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EXECUTE query INTO problem
Date: 2008-11-25 21:16:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tk421 <vrobador(at)gmail(dot)com> schrieb:

> I've got a problem with a function: It receives two parameters, the
> first, the table name, and the second, a where condition. The function
> looks like this:
>
> DECLARE
> cod bigint;
> query TEXT;
>
> BEGIN
> query = 'SELECT codigo FROM ' || $1 || ' WHERE ' || $2;
>
> EXECUTE query INTO cod;
> ·
> ·
> ·
> END;
>
> I've alwais get the same error, in the EXECUTE sentence: it says:
> Error at or near NULL at character X

Wild guess: one or both parameters contains nothing, NULL. If you concat
a string with NULL, the result is NULL. And you can't execute a
NULL-command.

> I've also tried declaring cod as row, but the error is the same.
>
> Anybody can help me?

Please show us the complete function and how do you call this function.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°