Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation

From: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation
Date: 2008-11-25 09:23:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Robert Treat
><xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:

>> We actually have such a database on pgfoundry already
>> (http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/1719/pagila-0.10.1.zip), which i think
>> devrim may have packaged into an rpm; it wouldn't hurt to add it to the win32
>> installer, but would you feel better if it were a contrib module or
>> something?

>I'm in favour of including it by default (at initdb), so it's there
>for new users to play with on any fresh install - however, there is

+1

It's reasonably easy to create a sample database during the initdb phase
automatically. It's rather easy for an experienced DBA to "dropdb sampledb"
to get rid of it, and it would be orders of magnitude more difficult for
a novice to create the sample database from contrib or anywhere else.
Besides the "waste" of space for the sample database should be negligible for
almost any real production environment.

>only a point to that if all the documentation examples are based on
>that database to allow copy-paste-play.

True. Though this is a chicken and egg problem, by simply creating the
sample DB first, it creates the opportunity to gradually convert all examples
in the manual to use the sample DB (and patch the sample DB in the process to
be populated with the proper tables/functions to actually be useful in
the required examples).
--
Sincerely,
Stephen R. van den Berg.