Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation

From: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation
Date: 2008-11-24 14:29:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

am Mon, dem 24.11.2008, um 9:02:37 -0500 mailte Tom Lane folgendes:
> > Dave Page wrote:
> >> It might also be useful to create such a database at initdb time so
> >> newbies have something interesting to look at right away.
>
> > No, there is no need to clutter every installation in the world with
> > such a database. You could make it an addon module, or a pgfoundry project.
>
> The whole thing strikes me as extreme overkill, not to mention a
> misunderstanding of what an example is supposed to be for. If we're
> going to insist that every example in the docs work when
> copied-and-pasted into an empty database, then simple and to-the-point
> examples will be history. Instead of one-liners we'll have clutter.

For a beginner, a "relation 'foo' does not exist" is a clean message,
but a "function foo() does not exist" from an example in the doc are a real
problem. And, in this example in my first post, the call to the
nonexistent function are neither necessary nor 'to-the-point' to explain a
for-loop.

The starting point for my post was a real question on IRC today.
Someone was really confused because he tried to use this nonexistent
funktion to log something into a log-file. I think, this example can
rewritten, either without this funktion-call or with raise notice ...

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)