Re: Postgres mail list traffic over time

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres mail list traffic over time
Date: 2008-11-21 03:48:58
Lists: pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> I got interested by Bruce's plot of PG email traffic here
> http://momjian.us/main/img/pgincoming.gif
> and decided to try to extend it into the past.  The data I have
> available is just my own incoming mail log, but being a pack-rat by
> nature I have that back to April 1998.  Attached is a graph of Postgres
> list messages per month since then.  I should note that this covers only
> the mail lists I'm subscribed to, which has been most of them since
> about 1999; but the first few numbers in this chart are undercounts by
> comparison.  Also, the very last dot is month-to-date for November and
> so is an underestimate.
>
> So, to a first approximation, the PG list traffic has been constant
> since 2000.  Not the result I expected.

Yes, I know Magnus did a graph for the PG-EU conference and it was also
flat;  perhaps he can post it here.  His chart was pulled from the
Postgres archives, so it is even more accurate than our graphs.

I also was confused by its flatness.  I am finding the email traffic
almost impossible to continue tracking, so something different is
happening, but it seems it is not volume-related.  I am going to post
another blog tomorrow with more thoughts.