Re: New XML-based man page build

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New XML-based man page build
Date: 2008-11-10 16:59:38
Lists: pgsql-docs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Following up to the recent discussion that our man page build is weird,
> ancient, and only works with patched tools, I have implemented support
> for using a newer toolchain based on docbook2x(.sf.net).  You can try it
> out by installing docbook2x and running "make manx".

I just tried it and it works great.  This is also Debian so I can't say
how hard it is to install docbook2x.

> The build works nicely and quickly, and if we fix up a few small
> formatting artifacts and sort out the installation issues, we could
> switch to using this as our standard build method.

What artifacts do you see?  The only one I can find is that in SEE ALSO
the references to other man pages look like this:

SEE ALSO
       ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION(), DROP TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION()

We should replace the spaces with _ and add the "l" section in parens.