Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, sysadmins(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-11-05 19:51:49
Lists: pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Alvaro,
>
>>> The -rrreviewers list exists to assign patches to volunteer Round
>>> Robin Reviewers (which you would know if you'd bothered to read the
>>> list description, or the RRR wiki page).
>>
>> Hey, I came up with the list description out of thin air ;-)
>
> Huh? There's a full description on the listserv, from the creation of
> the list. Are you not able to access that?

Hah -- in the majordomo interface, the lovely thing! I do have access
to that, but I didn't remember it existed. I just updated the database
with the description on it.

>> 1. the traffic is very low
>
> I'm not concerned about the impact it would have on -hackers. I am
> concerned about reviewers missing their assignments because -hackers is
> ~~100 posts/day. Also, --rrreviews makes it easy and clear how to join
> as an RRR; you subscribe to the mailing list (see RRR wiki page).

Hmm, those are both good points I think.

>> 2. reviews have started being crossposted to -rrreviewers and -hackers
>> (worse yet, posted only to the former)
>
> Oh, you're right, the cross-posting is annoying. Have posted behavioral
> correction to --rrreviewers.

Maybe it should be a moderated list?

> Again, --rrr is not an ideal solution. We need commitfest software
> which is capable of e-mailing people.

Something to keep in mind if we ever implement "commitfest software".